Student Accident Insurance
One fact in our schools is student injuries will occur each school year. Some will be minor bumps and bruises, but others can be very serious injuries. With the increase in medical costs and the large number of students uninsured, KASB decided to take the initiative to assist school districts in addressing the issues.
KASB’s solution is to provide access to a voluntary parent purchase student accident/health program, and, most importantly, district purchased mandatory coverage and mandatory catastrophic coverage.
This Kansas Association of School Boards endorsed Student Accident Coverage provides low deductible coverage for students, and fills the gap before the Kansas State High School Activities Association mandatory coverage begins. Additional catastrophic coverage is available above the KSHSAA maximum.
Why is student accident insurance important?
- Many students enrolled in your district currently have little or
no health insurance. As such, districts generally use our programs:
- As a community service to families;
- To facilitate compliance with state law or board policy;
- To lessen financial barriers and improve lower income students’ access to extra curricular activities;
- To reduce the likelihood of otherwise uninsured school related injuries and legal costs to the district.
Types of plans available
- Voluntary—enrollment information is made available to all
parents at time of enrollment. Parents mail the application directly to
Myers-Stevens for selected coverage.
- Mandatory (best option) – the board of education decides to
provide the basic coverage to all students and for tackle football
Other plans available
- Tackle Football Only
- 24-hour Accident
- School-Time Accident
- Student Health Care
- Dental Accident
- Exchange Student Worldwide Medical Insurance
- Field Trip
- After School
- Camps and Clubs
Contact us for additional information
Rod Spanger, KASB Assistant Executive Director of Insurance Services
1420 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, Kan. 66604
785-273-3600 Toll Free: 800-432-2471 Fax: 785-273-7580
Myers-Stevens & Toohey, Co. Inc.
An endorsed plan
Underwritten by BCS Insurance Co.
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Administered by Myers-Stevens & Toohey & Co., Inc.
Mission Viejo, California